[print-me do_not_print=”img”] Main Dishes Home Page
• 1 pound ground beef
• 1 large egg, lightly beaten
• 1/4 onion, finely chopped (about 1/3 cup)
• 7 saltine crackers, finely crushed (about 1/4 cup)
• 1 teaspoon minced fresh sage
• Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
• 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
• 8 ounces sliced mixed mushrooms
• 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
• 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
• Buttered egg noodles, for serving (optional)
Gently mix the beef, egg, onion, cracker crumbs, sage, 1/2 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of pepper in a large bowl using your hands. Divide into 4 equal portions and shape into oval patties, about 1/2 inch thick. Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the patties, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate. Add 1 tablespoon butter to the skillet and cook the mushrooms until slightly browned, about 2 minutes. Stir in the Worcestershire sauce, and salt and pepper to taste, scraping up any browned bits. Sprinkle in the flour and stir, then stir in 2 1/2 cups hot water and simmer until the sauce begins to thicken, about 2 minutes. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon butter, swirling to combine.
Return the patties and any juices from the plate to the skillet. Simmer until the sauce thickens and the patties are cooked through, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley and season with salt and pepper. Serve with noodles, if desired.